Reporting of an Accident

Reporting of an Accident, it is most important…remain calm and ensure you are safe! Assuming no emergency vehicles or tow truck are required, exchange information with the other party. Contact your insurance company when reporting of an accident to make a claim. Take pictures of vehicles and people involved. Get Information for witnesses and even a written statement Reporting of an Accident.

Below are some Collision Statistics information from City of Calgary.

When should I report a traffic collision?

A collision must be reported to police when there are any injuries, damage exceeds $2,000 or you are the victim of a hit and run.

How do I report a traffic collision? There are two ways to report a collision:

  1. If there are injuries or one or more of the vehicles is un-drivable call 403-266-1234 or 9-1-1.
  2. If there are no injuries and the vehicles are drivable, the collision can be reported at any district office.

To complete a collision report at a district office, attend your local office with the vehicle involved and the person who was driving.

The following documents are required:

  • Operator’s License for the person who was driving;
  • certificate of registration for the motor vehicle involved (the registration form); and,
  • proof of financial responsibility for the vehicle involved (proof of insurance).

You should also bring all the information about the other vehicle involved in the collision.

What do I do if someone refuses Reporting of an Accident?

Advise them that they are required by law to provide information regardless of fault. If they still refuse to contact the Calgary Police Service.

If the person is impaired or belligerent, contact 9-1-1. For all other cases, call the non-emergency number at 403-266-1234 to report.

Make detailed notes of the person and the vehicle involved. Note or photograph the license plate of the other vehicle involved.

What do I do if someone hits me and runs?

Hit and run incidents need to be reported to the Calgary Police Service.
If you are operating your vehicle and involved in a hit and run try to obtain:

the plate of the vehicle;
the vehicle description;
a driver description; and,
last direction of travel of the vehicle.

Do not attempt to follow the vehicle for this can bring your safety and that of the public at risk. When it is safe to do so, pull over and contact the Calgary Police Service.

We endeavor to be your trusted “One Location… One Solution” centre.

For more information on our Auto Body, Collision Repair or other services please contact:

Phone: 403.769.9309
Address: 1725 32 Ave. NE #122 Calgary, AB T2E 7C8